The OF Blog: Tons of new books and magazines plus upcoming reviews

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Tons of new books and magazines plus upcoming reviews

I received quite a few books this week, 14 in total. The ones pictured below are from three sources: 1) The "payment" for my recent guest review for Amazon's Omnivoracious blog - I chose a few books that I wanted to read/review and Jeff VanderMeer chose the rest, making for 9 total books, each of which is quite intriguing, to say the least; 2) A review copy of Jennifer Stevenson's The Velvet Chair sent by Ballatine Books; 3) Three issues of Weird Tales magazine sent as a promotional offer. Now for the pictures and their brief descriptions:

In this photo, there are the Nov/Dec 2007, Jan/Feb 2008, and March/April 2008 issues of Weird Tales, the Stevenson book I mentioned above, the ARC edition of Barth Anderson's second novel, The Magician and the Fool, Paul Kincaid's What It is We do when We Read Science Fiction, and Farah Mendlesohn's Rhetorics of History.

In this second photo, there is the hardcover edition of Alan Campbell's second novel, Iron Angel, the ARC for Gene Wolfe's An Evil Guest, James Braziel's Birmingham, 35 Miles, and the ARC edition of Kay Kenyon's recently-released A World Too Near.

And this final set includes photos of the ARC edition of Howard Zinn's graphic novel/non-fiction, A People's History of American Empire and the ARC for D.M. Cornish's second novel, Lamplighter.

It was fortuitous timing on receiving the Weird Tales magazines, as I am planning on subscribing to it in the next month or so when I finish paying off a few more bills. I will read and review these issues sometime before the end of the month, time permitting.

Also, here is a tentative listing of reviews that I plan on doing before May is complete. Subject to change, of course, this list will be full of anthology reviews:

This weekend: Ann and Jeff VanderMeer (eds.), Steampunk (anthology); Ekaterina Sedia (ed.), Paper Cities (anthology)

May 19-25: Ellen Datlow (ed.), The Del Rey Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy (anthology); James and Kathyrn Morrow (eds.), The SFWA European Hall of Fame (anthology); Steven Hall, The Raw Shark Texts; Sarah Hall, Daughters of the North

By May 31: Cory Doctorow, Little Brother; Isamu Fukui, Truancy (these two as a dual review); Jeffrey Ford, The Shadow Year; Paul Kincaid, What It is We do when We Read Science Fiction; Farah Mendlesohn, Rhetorics of Fantasy (again, these perhaps will be a dual review)

Some of these of course might be bumped back into June and others might be added to this list. Hopefully by writing this tentative review plan here, I can force myself to stop being lazy, as with the exception of the last two books mentioned, I've read at least 1/2 of all the ones mentioned here.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Some great stuff to be looking forward to! I can't wait :)

Larry Nolen said...

I know! Only problem is that I have an extremely busy day ahead of me tomorrow, or else I'd finish Anderson's book tonight (that's the first one I plan on finishing, with the rest over the next 1-2 months, along with other purchases/review copies).

 
Add to Technorati Favorites