The OF Blog: A reading map of the countries where I have read at least one writer

Saturday, January 26, 2013

A reading map of the countries where I have read at least one writer


Interesting patterns and places I see where I need to explore more. Would have been more interesting if I could have been able to color-code it by male/female writers, but it'll do for a start. If I counted correctly, I've read at least one book from a writer who was born/lived in 86 different nation-states. That's less than half and only a little more than a third of the extant countries today. Here's another one, featuring the US states and writers from those states that I know I've read at least one author associated with that state.

8 comments:

Weirdmage said...

Just out of curiosity, what author(s) have you read from Norway?

Larry Nolen said...

Sadly, only Ibsen so far. Main reason of drawing up this visual map is to remind me of the countries/writers I've yet to discover.

Ben Godby said...

Wow... this is really inspiring. I think I should challenge myself to colour my own map a little more fully. Thanks for sharing.

Larry Nolen said...

You're welcome. It's a map meant to make me more aware of places/authors I might want to read someday rather than showing what I've accomplished. Miles to go and all that...

Trishb said...

Minor in the scheme of things, but I'm guessing that you can tick Vermont off your US map. Donna Tartt and Bret Easton Ellis both attended Bennington College.

Larry Nolen said...

Yes, I suppose I should, since Ellis in particular used a stand-in for Bennington for Less Than Zero, I believe. I'll edit it later. Thanks for reminding me of that, though!

Unknown said...

New goal for you: fill in all the gaps before the end of the year. Period.

Larry Nolen said...

Shouldn't be too hard, since it's quite possible I'm just forgetting certain writers...like Stephen King/Maine, I see :P

 
Add to Technorati Favorites